Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 3 2011

Jan 3 2011
A new home in Malawi
I arrived here at about noon, passed through passport control and customs and was met by Regina the Dean of Kamuzu College of Nursing. Today is a holiday here since Jan 1 fell on Saturday, however tomorrow we begin at the college – although I am not expected to teach yet – first I have to get my license. Regina is a very gracious and kind woman. Her home is a little bit out of t

own and sits on about 5 acres. The house is large and as she puts it “unfinished” but the “guest wing” is more than satisfactory. I have a bedroom, a sitting room and a bathroom. I have borrowed a fan and will need to purchase one to keep the air moving but the temperature is bearable. Regina’s youngest daughter, Michelle, lives here with her and her elder daughter who works in South Africa is visiting until next week. The house comes complete with security, guard dogs –one of whom got lose and went after Regina but left me alone likely because she got frightened and I just stood still- a cook and cleaning staff and two very skinny and skittish kittens. There is however no internet but I have been informed that I can buy a “dongle” and have it on my computer. I will go after that tomorrow. I am very comfortable and although it is warmish there is a breeze and right now it looks like it might rain. Regina was having trouble with her well pump and has gone with the repair man to buy a part. She was worried about the cost as she is about to send her eldest daughter to South Africa for school. Her well is 60 ft down. She boils the water so I have been drinking it so far without ill effect. I didn’t expect hot water for my shower but there it was warm water. That is a bonus.
The well problem is small at least for the moment – the repair guy says the pump needs to be cleaned and that will cost 60,000-100,000 Kwacha ($15, 000). The threatening rain turned into a thunderstorm and there was a close lightening strike so I went inside. The thunder and lightning continued throughout the night and was quite spectacular. There was a small dog barking beneath my window early in the evening but as soon as it began to storm the dog shut up (thank heavens). I was in bed by 0930 and slept like a log.

No comments:

Post a Comment